The goals of Dr. Wang’s research are focused on the interaction of host factors and RNA viruses. Their first project is in the field of developing of yeast as a model host and powerful in vitro assay with purified replicase complexes, together with reverse genetic approaches that make Enterovirus 71 (EV71), Japanese Encephalitis Virus, capable of replicating in yeast, as to study fundamental aspects of viral RNA replication. The second project, Dr. Wang’s laboratory will use proteomic approaches to analyze infection of two cell lineages, RD cells and SF268 cells, with EV71, focusing on the secreted proteins. First, they will identify several secreted proteins which are found only in the EV71-infected cells by the combination using of one dimension electrophoresis and liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS). Second, they will perform 2D-electrophoresis followed by MALDI-TOF/TOF in order to validate those proteins. Once they identify the host proteins which were presented in the secreted proteins of EV71-infected cells, they will discuss the results obtained taking into account the proteins previously described in the secretome of virus-infected mammalian cells, proteins present in human plasma and proteins of interest for EV71 pathogenesis. Altogether these data will provide clues for the progress in the understanding of the role of host secretion in disease progression.The specific aims are:
1) Identification of numerous host factors affecting/involving viral replication by using a systems biology approach, including genome-wide screens and proteomics approaches.
2) Dissecting the roles of three RNA-binding host proteins: glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH), the p68 DEAD-box RNA helicase homolog Dpb2 and translation elongation factor EF-1alpha (Tef1/2p), all of which bind to TBSV RNA and also known to interact with Hepatitis C virus, West Nile virus, dengue 4 virus and hepatitis A virus RNAs, suggesting that host factors might play similar roles in replication of these viruses.
3) Roles of Vacuolar Protein sorting proteins in RNA virus replication.
- Cheng CH, Peng YC, Lin SM, Yatsuda H, Liu SH, Liu SJ, Kuo CY, Wang RY* (corresponding author) (2022) Measurements of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody levels after vaccination using a SH-SAW biosensor. Biosensors. 12, 599. (SCI, impact factor: 5.743).
- Chen HH, Lin CJ, Anand A, Lin HJ, Lin HY, Mao JY, Wang PH, Tseng YJ, Tzou WS, Huang CC, Wang RY* (corresponding author) (2022) Development of antiviral carbon quantum dots that target the Japanese encephalitis virus envelope protein. J Biol Chem. 298(6): 101957. (SCI, impact factor: 5.486).
- Liu S, Dong Y, Wang Y, Hu P, Wang J, Wang RY* (corresponding author) (2021) Pristimerin exerts antitumor activity against MDA-MB-231 triple-negative breast cancer cells by reversing of epithelial-mesenchymal transition via downregulation of integrin b3. Biomedical J. 44: S84-S92. (SCI, impact factor: 7.892)
- Peng YC, Cheng CH, Yatsuda H, Liu SH, Liu SJ, Kogai T, Kuo CY, Wang RY*(corresponding author) (2021) A Novel Rapid Test to Detect Anti-SARS-CoV-2 N Protein IgG Based on Shear Horizontal Surface Acoustic Wave (SH-SAW). Diagnostics 11:1838 (SCI, impact factor: 3.992)
- Li YJ, Wu HH, Chen CH, Wang HH, Chiang YJ, Hsu HH, Pang ST, Wang RY, Tian YC (2021) High Incidence and Early Onset of Urinary Tract Cancers in Patients with BK Polyomavirus Associated Nephropathy. Viruses; 13: 476 (SCI, impact factor: 5.818)
- Liao T, Wang Xi, Donolato M, Cruz MM, Balmaseda A, Harris E, Wang RY*(corresponding author) (2020) Evaluation of ViroTrack Sero Zika IgG/IgM, a new rapid and quantitative Zika serological diagnostic assay. Diagnostics 10:372; doi:10.3390 (SCI, impact factor: 3.992)
- Xu P, Xu H, Cheng HS, Chan HH, Wang RY*(corresponding author) (2020) MicroRNA 876-5p modulates EV-A71 replication through downregulation of host antiviral factors. Virology Journal; 17:21 (SCI, impact factor: 5.922)
- Lai MC, Chen HH, Xu P, Wang RY*(corresponding author) (2020) Translational control of Enterovirus A71 gene expression. Journal of Biomedical Science; 27:22 (SCI, impact factor: 12.771)
- Lin CH, Chang L, Chu HW, Lin HJ, Chang PC, Wang RY*(corresponding author), Unnikrishnan B, Mao JY, Chen SY, Huang CC (2019) High amplification of the antiviral activity of curcumin through transformation into carbon quantum dots. Small; DOI: 10.1002/smll.201902641 (SCI, impact factor: 15.153)
- Li HY, Tsai MS, Huang CG, Wang RY, Chuang LP, Chen NH, Liu CH, Hsu CM, Cheng WN, Lee LA (2019) Alterations in Alzheimer’s disease-associated gene expression in severe obstructive sleep apnea patients. J. Clin. Med; 8: 1361; DOI: 10.3390/jcm8091361 (SCI, impact factor: 4.964)
- Chu HW, Lai CS, Ko JY, Harroun SG, Chuang CI, Wang RY*(corresponding author), Unnikrishnan B, Huang CC (2019) Nanoparticle-based LDI-MS immunoassay for the multiple diagnosis of viral infections. ACS Sensors; DOI: 10.1021/acssensors.9b00054 (SCI, impact factor: 9.618)
- Kuo RL, Chen CJ, Wang RY, Huang HI, Lin YH, Tam EH, Tu WJ, Wu SE, Shih SR (2019) Role of Enteroviral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase in regulation of MDA5-mediated beta interferon activation. J. Virology; 93 (10) e00132 (SCI, impact factor: 6.549)
- Chen YM, Ou BT, Chen CY, Chan HH, Chen CJ, Wang RY*(corresponding author) (2019) Staufen1 protein participates positively in the viral RNA replication of enterovirus 71. Viruses; 11 142; doi:10.3390/v11020142 (SCI, impact factor: 5.818)
- Min N, Vale DS, Wong AA, Tan WH, Chong CY, Chen CJ, Wang RY*(corresponding author), Chu JH* (2018) Circulating Salivary miRNA hsa-miR-221 as Clinically Validated Diagnostic Marker for Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease in Pediatric Patients. EBioMedicine; 31: 299-306. (SCI, impact factor: 11.205) * Equally contributed authors
- Banerjee S, Aponte-Diaz D, Yeager C, Sharma SD, Ning G, Oh HS, Han Q, Umeda M, Hara Y, Wang RY, Cameron C (2018) Hijacking of multiple phospholipid biosynthetic pathways and induction of membrane biogenesis by a picornaviral 3CD protein. PLoS Pathog 14(5): e1007086 (SCI, impact factor: 7.464).
- Prabowo BA, Wang RY* (co-first author), Secario MK, Ou PT, Alom A, Liu JJ, Liu KC (2017) Rapid detection and quantification of Enterovirus 71 by a portable surface plasmon resonance biosensor. Biosensors & bioelectronics DOI: 10.1016/j.bios.2017.01.043 (SCI, impact factor: 12.545) * Equally contributed authors